Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The end (of the semester) is in sight!







PHOTOS (From Top to Bottom)
1) The Headshot Dream Team! L to R: Melanie Gowrie (Miss Brooklyn's OT), Karolina Almanzar (Makeup Artist), David Gardiner Garcia (Photographer) and Me!
2)My girl Melanie (Miss Brooklyn's Outstanding Teen) working it during her photo shoot. David's behind the camera, Kim Thomas (Miss Brooklyn ED) looks focused, and I think Karolina is trying to warn Kim about the photo!
3)Myself and the lovely Karolina in the makeup room
4)Maria (my airbrush tan guru from Pacific Tanning) and I


What an amazing/ hectic month April has been! In addition to my duties as Miss Brooklyn, I also go to school full time, Irish Step Dance, work at a Pilates studio, and work as an actor. Everything seemed to happen at once this month, and luckily, I was/ will soon be wrapping up a few of my more time consuming activities! School finishes up this week, and I'm thrilled to have extra time to dedicate to my Miss Brooklyn 2009 duties and Miss NY prep!

I've been continuing my personal training with the fabulous Ellen Stein, who is determined to give me a "bell-butt" (as in kettlebell) for Miss NY. I thought I was in decent shape before I started working with her, but most anyone would feel wimpy next to a Powerlifting Champion! Though I continue to stay in shape on my own when I'm not working out with Ellen, my sessions with her are always more fun and productive. You can always tell I've had a training session the previous day when I'm super smiley (working out makes you happy) and walking funny (working out also makes you sore)! Check out Ellen's blog for videos and photos of her lifting INSANELY heavy stuff! http://kettlebellen.blogspot.com/

I've also continued using the graciously donated airbrush tanning services of Pacific Tanning on 9th St. and 6th Ave in Brooklyn. Maria keeps my pasties away (as in pale-ness...not the other kind of pasties) with her expert airbrush-gun wielding. http://pacifictanningsalon.com/

This afternoon, I had my photo shoot with the amazing David Gardiner Garcia. He was quick, efficient and such a pleasure to work with! I only got to see a few shots while we scrolled through his camera, and I am absolutely thrilled to see the final photos! David's also a skilled fashion, wedding and event photographer. Check him out at : http://www.davidgardinerphoto.com/ . Makeup was provided by the lovely Karolina Almanzar (http://www.ikandymakeup.com/). Karolina made me look gorgeous but not overdone, and was a true delight to work with. Check out her website for samples of her work and her contact information. We were lucky enough to come into contact with Robert from Bond Street Studios, who graciously allowed us to use his beautiful space on literally a day's notice. Check out their studio at: http://www.bondstreetstudio.com/.
All in all, a great day! This weekend, I head up to Albany for the Miss New York workshop weekend. I'm excited to get to see all of the contestants again(I think there's only one or two that I haven't met!) and learn more about this year's production. Expect the proofs from my headshot session, along with photos from the workshop in my next blog!
Best,
Keelie