Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The end is near...

I thought that things would start to wind down at this point in my reign as Miss Brooklyn, but I find myself just as busy as I was this time last year, when I was newly crowned! (Fun bonus- I was crowned on February 22nd, 2009, and I give up my crown on March 28th, 2010, so I got to be Miss Brooklyn for over 13 months- SCORE!) 

On Wednesday, March 3rd, I returned to Block Institute to do one of my favorite appearances- Read Across America Day- for the second time! The kids, as always, were fantastic; bright, engaging, and ADORABLE! And I've said this many times, but THANK YOU to Todd Adelman of Block Institute for all you've done for me this year!

The following evening, I headed to Superfine for a Women's History Month celebration of Brooklyn-based female author-illustrators! What an honor to support these amazing artists, including the lovely and talented Melanie Hope Greenberg (who gifted me copies of her beautiful books- YESSSS!)


On the way home, I ran into some folks on the subway who had attended the National Day of Action to Defend Education- I had wanted to attend but was booked all day, so this was a fun coincidence!

My sisters are beautiful, talented, smart, hilarious, and pretty much the best sisters around (don't tell them I said that, though); and I'm so obnoxiously proud of them. From left to right, Lauren Crandall- 3rd RU, Colleen Gagne- 2nd RU, KIEREN SHERIDAN- 1st RU, COURTNEY SHERIDAN- Miss Empire Rose 2010, and Katie Birchenough- Miss Albany 2010. Congratulations, ladies!


And last but not least, I'll be competing this weekend for the titles of Miss Jubilee/ Miss Southern NY for the opportunity to represent the entire southern tier of NY (don't worry, Brooklyn- I'm not abandoning you)! Wish me luck!